Realizing that your child sustained birth injuries because of a health care provider’s negligence or wrongdoing is overwhelming. Your child suffered because of a preventable situation. What do you do now? The first step is to contact a Tulsa birth injury lawyer.
A birth injury attorney investigates the cause of the injury to determine if medical errors, negligence, or other wrongdoing was the cause of your child’s injury. If so, the lawyer helps you pursue a medical malpractice claim for birth injuries.
Holding the party responsible for your baby’s injuries financially liable is just one reason for filing a birth injury claim. Filing a birth injury claim may also prevent another family from going through the same situation by revealing the health care provider’s errors or negligence.
Why Do Birth Injuries Occur?
A birth injury occurs because of a complication during labor or delivery. Medical errors and negligence are common reasons for birth injuries. A birth injury may occur because of:
- Failing to screen the mother for risks that could increase complications during labor and delivery
- Improper use of vacuum or forceps during delivery
- Delays in ordering a Caesarian section when the baby or mother is in distress
- Failing to monitor the baby during labor and delivery
- Neglecting to test and/or treat infections
- Improperly pulling or twisting the baby’s head during delivery
- Failing to diagnose a damaged or tangled umbilical cord
- Neglecting to refer a high-risk pregnancy to a specialist
- Improper use of Pitocin to induce labor
- Failing to recognize and respond to fetal distress
- Failing to provide adequate follow-up after delivery
When medical providers make mistakes during labor and delivery, the mother’s and baby’s lives could be in danger. The baby could sustain injuries that result in permanent impairments and disabilities. It is crucial to seek advice from medical experts and birth injury lawyers as soon as possible to protect your rights and your baby’s rights if you suspect your baby’s condition was caused by negligence or medical errors.
Common Birth Injuries Caused by Medical Negligence
There are numerous types of birth injuries caused by negligence and malpractice. Some of the most common injuries babies sustain during labor and delivery include, but are not limited to:
- Bruising and scarring
- Broken bones and fractures
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Caput Succedaneum
- Nerve damage, including facial paralysis or Brachial Palsy
- Erb’s Palsy and Cerebral Palsy
- Injuries from forceps and vacuums
- Spinal injuries
A birth injury can result in permanent physical and cognitive impairments. The long-term consequences of a birth injury could be devastating for parents and the child. It is crucial to fight for maximum compensation for your child so that your child has the funds necessary to pay for medical care, personal care, and needs throughout his or her life.
Start With a Free Case Review From an Experienced Tulsa Birth Injury Lawyer
Contact The Law Office of Michael R. Green, PLLC, by calling (866) 944-4733 to schedule your free consultation with a Tulsa birth injury lawyer.