Oklahoma State Insurance Laws
According to Geico, insurance coverage for body injury liability is $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident in the state of Oklahoma. It’s important to have car insurance because it can help cover losses and medical bills. The Oklahoma Daily Traffic Fatality Report also states that more fatalities have increased this year compared to last year. Moreover, here are a few Oklahoma insurance laws and liabilities that can give you an idea.
- All car owners in the state of Oklahoma must carry car insurance
- The minimum liability coverage is: 25/50/25 meaning that it’s $25,000 for bodily injury/person, $50,000 for bodily injury/ accident, and $25,000 for property damage/accident
- Liability coverage in Oklahoma does cover both bodily injuries and property damages.
Being the “Fault” Car Accident State
The amount of fatal and injury crashes compiled within the last couple of years were 2,393 crashes within the state of Oklahoma. Since Oklahoma follows a traditional “fault-based” system, that means that a person who is responsible for causing a car accident will also be responsible for any harm that’s resulted on the other party involved.
Penalties Without Proof of Insurance
Every state will have penalties if car owners fail to provide proof of insurance on them. In Oklahoma, here are the following penalties for drivers who fail to show proof of insurance.
- Receive a fine of up to $250.00
- Spend up to 30 days in prison
- Seizure of License plates
- Driving privileges will be provoked unless a $125.00 administrative fee is paid to obtain insurance
In conclusion, there is a various amount of car insurance coverage within the state of Oklahoma. This is due to Oklahoma law only requiring liability coverage for car owners. It’s encouraged for car owners in Oklahoma to add different types of coverages to their policy. In this way, more of your assets can be protected as well as provide more assurance and security. For more information on the following options, visit nationwide.com to get some insight on the right options for you.