Almost every employee in the United States is required, by law, to be covered by workers’ compensation insurance. From small operations to large corporations, almost every employer in the nation must purchase workers’ compensation insurance to ensure their employees will be covered in the event of an on-the-job injury.

Although workers’ compensation is a widespread system, there are exceptions to the system and certain employees who do not need to be covered. Exceptions to the workers’ compensation system vary between states, and Oklahoma has its own rules for who is and is not entitled to workers’ compensation coverage under the law.

Domestic Employees

Domestic employees (such as housekeepers, cooks, and childcare providers) may not be covered by workers’ compensation insurance if their employer conducts a smaller operation. Some domestic employees are covered, but typically only in cases of larger, corporate domestic service businesses.

Agricultural Workers

People who work on Oklahoma’s farms are primarily not covered by workers’ compensation insurance. Like domestic workers, agricultural workers may require coverage if they are paid higher wages or are employed by a more large-scale operation.

Family Businesses

Small businesses that are family-owned and operated are usually not required to purchase workers’ compensation insurance. Family-owned businesses that have a high number of employees may need to provide their employees with workers’ compensation, but in these cases the relatives of the employer may still not require coverage according to Oklahoma state law.

Business Owners

Many business owners are not required to be covered by workers’ compensation insurance in Oklahoma. This may also include employees and other parties who own stock or shares in a business.

Employees Covered by Other Forms of Workers’ Compensation

There are other programs, similar to workers’ compensation, which provide coverage to injured employees in certain roles. Some examples of these programs include the Federal Employers Liability Act, which provides benefits to injured railroad workers, and the Defense Base Act (DBA), which covers civilian employees and contractors who work for the U.S. military. Employees that are eligible for another type of workers’ compensation-like program do not need to be covered by workers’ compensation insurance as well.

The Law Office of Michael R. Green, PLLC can guide you through your workers’ compensation claim. If you were injured at your job, contact us to discuss your options.To schedule a free consultation with Attorney Michael R. Green, complete our contact form or call .


Designed and maintained by EMC Advertising. Privacy policy.